Last Sunday, we went to sleep early, because I had to go to a conference call meeting at 6:30 am with engineers in India. I took the garbage out, place the doggies in their cages, give the medication to Jess, and we went to sleep.
It was 2:30 am, and all sudden I heard a frantic scream: LUIS! Jessica was yelling from the bathroom. I quickly got up and when I opened the door, I found the floor covered with blood, including the rugs, and all of her legs were dripping blood. I desperately call the doctor directly, while getting new clothing for her. The doctor half-sleep answers and I tell him: My wife is bleeding! He replied: "take her to the ER now!"
Twenty minutes later we are in the ER room. They check her vitals, then the ER doctor came in, and performed an examination, and he tells us "your wife is going into labor". Jess and I look at each other, with so much despair. This can't be happening, not now, it is too soon. Can the babies survive? No, the doctor answered, and left the room. I followed him out, is there anything you can do to stop this? No, there is nothing we can do to stop nature, what is happening is beyond our control.
| We have gotten so far, and how can it be? What caused this? Is this the process of baby-B of leaving us? But baby-A is in front of baby-B, can this baby hold into the womb? Are we losing all the babies? What did we do to cause this? Are the babies feeling pain? Is there hope? Where are you God? We need you! Why Satan continues to attack us? Why is the enemy trying to kill my babies again? |
I returned to stay next to Jessica, and console her. But in few seconds I felt so dizzy and weak, that I started to have nausea. I'm glad that I was able to stop it. The nurse came in to setup the IV. I called Jess' mom. A half hour later, the OB resident came in. And we share the conclusions that the previous ER doctor did. So, she proceeded to do her own examination. And quickly found that Jessica was NOT going into labor. So, there is little hope; we thought to ourselves. Then they brought a portable ultrasound machine, and in surprise to everyone, all the babies were still alive! They were moving, and heartbeats still going. Thank you God! But the OB doctor was still apprehensive to tell us that we were out of trouble.
They decide to release her from the ER and admit her into a hospital room at the family center area. We got the room, and a couple hours later our main OB doctor finally arrived. He read the release paper indicating that she is under a miscarriage threaten pregnancy. The bleeding has almost stopped completely. He sent us to the main ultrasound center, to find out where is the source of the bleeding, and to inspect the state of the babies. We got there around 9 am and they found that the cervix was closed, all 3 babies were moving, all heartbeats normal, the amniotic sacs were intact and full, and the placentas were okay. And yes, baby-B still has the problems that we already knew. But no visible explanation about the hemorrhage.
|"I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies. The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me; the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called upon the LORD; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears." |
"In you, O LORD, do I take refuge; let me never be put to shame! In your righteousness deliver me and rescue me; incline your ear to me, and save me! Be to me a rock of refuge, to which I may continually come; you have given the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress. Rescue me, O my God, from the hand of the wicked."
"For I am poor and needy, and my heart is stricken within me. I am gone like a shadow at evening; I am shaken off like a locust. My knees are weak through fasting; my body has become gaunt, with no fat. I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they wag their heads. Help me, O LORD my God! Save me according to your steadfast love! Let them know that this is your hand; you, O LORD, have done it!"
We went back to the room; I called her parents and explained what was happening. The OB doctor came in to see the results, and he indicated that the possible outcomes are:
- The bleeding completely stops (this will be the best)
- Baby-B is trying to abort naturally. And stay inside the womb
- Baby-B might be the only one coming out. And the other babies move out of the way.
- Baby-B might take all the babies with it (worst outcome)
We have to wait and see what happens. Few hours later, Suzanne and Linda came in to see us. While they were there, I decided to run to my office to give an update to my boss and co-workers. I got there around lunch time, found Mike (my boss) and explained what was happening. His reply was: what are you doing here? Go back to the hospital to be with your wife!
Thank you God, for giving me a good workplace like the one I have. Still I left some testing running in the simulator, hoping that I can stop by later and check on the results. Took my work laptop and went to the house to check on the dogs. They were in a bad mood. I took them out to potty, place food in their cages, and run back to the hospital. In my way there I got a call from the dealer to tell me that Jess' car was ready to be picked up, I explained what was happening, and that I will try to pick up the vehicle later tonight with the help of a neighbor.
George and Kathy are the greatest neighbors, I'm also so thankful that God placed some wonderful people like them. They always help, pick up our mail, look over our house, and even water the plants when we need it. I called him, and he was quick to get ready and help me to drive one of the cars. We got to the dealership, and as usual I perform an inspection of the repair. And it was disappointing, the mechanic throw away some parts that I found missing from the connectors. A couple front connectors were broken apart. A plastic box lid was broken; several fasteners that hold the engine harness in place were all broken. So, I indicated the service representative that I cannot take this vehicle back until they fix those problems. Hence we left the car there and headed back to the house. I dropped off George at his home, then checked on the dogs, and went back to the hospital.
Around 10 pm, I took Jessica to the bathroom, and all sudden blood starts coming out from her again. I press the emergency button, and the nurses and doctors in the floor came in immediately. She was put back on the bed, and they performed an exam again. This second episode was like the previous one, but the amount of blood was a little bit less, still the floor all the way to the bathroom was spotted with blood. After the examination, they brought the portable ultrasound, and the babies survive the second bleeding again. Hang on babies! Hold for your lives! You are great fighters!
The OB doctor was informed of the second bleeding, and he ordered some blood-count tests on her. Around midnight, the test result came back, and the level was low. They added other fluids into her IV. The nurse told me that they will test her blood levels again around 5am. I went home around 2am, praying that everything will be saved. Got to the house, and started cleaning up the bathroom floors, the toilet, and the rugs. Then I washed her clothing (I'm glad I placed all the clothing to soak in water right after it happened). Around 6am I woke up, and went to the hospital, our OB doctor came in, and review the blood test results, and determined that she has lost about 25% of her blood, ordered blood transfusions. I was queasy again. That day they gave her 2 units. It took about 4 hours per bag. Rachel gave us a visit, and brought some chicken nuggets, since Jessica didn't like any of the hospital food. During that day we got numerous phone calls. Thank you everyone for your concern and prayers. Pastor Jon also came to visit us, and we prayed again for God to intervene in an amazing way.
We waited for the entire day of Tuesday and Wednesday for the ultrasound doctor to come in. Since our main OB wanted to monitor the babies during and after the transfusion. So I was a little bit frustrated that the ultrasound person did not show up for 48 hours. On Tuesday night I went home around 11pm. And George had picked up some flowers that were delivered to the house from Jess' sister Melissa. This time I had some extra time to do the dishes, and clean up the house a little more.
On Wednesday, Pastor Tom came in while I was at work. He brought her flowers too. I was able to escape for few minutes and visit Paul. I was happy to be able to see him and talk to him a little. The cancer has done a lot of damage on him, but he's still in good spirits. Mikael (his son) was there too, and his other son was there too. I pray that God makes this situation easy on his children. Since the doctors give him few months of life. It refreshed my memory of Ben, my friend, co-worker, and brother in Christ whom died last year from cancer too.
On Thursday the bleeding has diminishes to only dark spotting. The OB doctor came to check, and the last blood test shown that she has recovered. The doctor told us that Jess will be released this weekend. I got more time to do work. On Friday, when the doctor came he told us that he was really surprise that the babies survive the whole ordeal, he even had nightmares on Wednesday night that Jess was bleeding again. Other doctors told him that the babies shouldn't have made it; he also said that Jessica's case is the first one like this, and that Jessica was a good patient. She got released from the hospital on Friday afternoon. Now we are home, and Suzanne brought potato soup, rolls and cookies.
"The LORD is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them."